25 Things I am Thankful for – Fitness Edition #14 Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are my favorite form of starchy carb. There are so many ways that they can be eaten, I never get bored or tired of eating them. Although they do have a slight sweetness to them, they are a great addition to many savory dishes. Personally, I prefer the orange-fleshed variety its’ white-fleshed counterpart.
Here in the US, the name “sweet potato” generally refers to the white-fleshed variety and “yam” refers to the orange-fleshed variety, however, what we find here in the grocery stores are all sweet potatoes. Most of us have never actually had a true yam. Yams are native to Africa and are much different than what we think. Check out this article to learn more about the difference between the two.
Some of my favorite ways to enjoy sweet potatoes:
- Microwave Sweet Potato Muffin – I use unsweetened almond milk (instead of milk), flax seed meal (instead of flour), unsweetened applesauce,and only 1/2T. of peanut butter. I do add cinnamon, I have added pumpkin (pumpkin is good in everything!), and I have had them without the chocolate chips.
- Sweet Potato Protein Pancakes – Using sweet potato and unsweetened applesauce instead of the banana.
- Homemade Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- Homemade Sweet Potato Chips
- Add to eggs/egg whites with bell peppers and spinach
- Add to soups
- Baked Sweet Potato topped with shredded chicken, and sautéed green beans and bell peppers
- Baked, sliced and topped with cinnamon
What are your favorite ways to enjoy sweet potatoes?